The church of St. Tecla was entirely rebuilt in 1866, but retains its old font and a quite beautiful medieval brass chandelier. Probably made in Bruges (Belgium) in about 1500, it has twelve elaborately branched and foliaged arms, with a beast-
The chandelier hangs before a truly remarkable Georgian window, originally made in 1800 for St. Asaph Cathedral. Unusually, the window uses painted rather than stained glass and depicts a youthful Jesus contemplating a vision of his future Crucifixion, enacted by a bevy of chubby cherubs.
The first church on this site was probably built in the early mediaeval period. In 1273 it was regarded as a chapelry of Llangollen and belonged to Valle Crucis Abbey. The Church still plays a big part in the life of the community and full details of its history, events and church service times can be found here.
St Tecla’s Church
The first Congregationalist Chapel was built at the present location in 1817. In 1840 the chapel and house were demolished and the building we see today was built and given the name Pisgah Addoldy Yr Annibynwyr. The place of worship of the Independents.
The Chapel thrives today as well as at any time in its long history and in 2014 a refurbishment programme was completed the quality of which is exemplary.
Services at Pisgah are in the Welsh medium.
The Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Bethania) in Llandegla began its life in its current location in 1827 being opened for services in 1828. Refurbished in 1844, extended in 1861 the chapel was rebuilt in 1903. Sadly services ceased in the Chapel a few years ago and it is now in private ownership.
Built in 1895, a Sunday School which once met at Ty-
The Chapel closed in 1993 and is now in private hands.
The first Weslyan Chapel in Llandegla was built in 1812 on a plot behind what is now the Post Office. Some thirty years later Lord Mostyn gave the movement a plot of land and a new building erected. Opened on the 13 & 14 June 1842 the Chapel was used up to 1914 when it closed due to dwindling congregations.
Purchased by Mrs Dewhust of Bodidris Hall the Chapel was refurbished and given to the community and is now the Memorial Hall.
|About this website|
|Families of Llandegla|
|Fete & Produce Show|
|Watercolour Social Group|
|Llandegla All Styles Music Club|
|National Garden Scheme|
|News & weather|
|Top Field Project|
|Churches and Chapels|
|Places to eat|
|Places to stay|
|Places to visit|