LLandegla Memorial Hall

Many community events are held in the Memorial Hall and it is available to hire at very reasonable rates. 
Built in 1841-42 the hall was originally a Wesleyan Church and was purchased by Mrs Dewhurst of Bodidris in 1914. Following  full restoration the building was given to the village and was officially opened on 17th June 1918 as the Llandegla War Memorial Hall with the Bishop of St.Asaph officiating.
Since opening, the hall has been well maintained by a management group of trustees all of whom live in the community. With a field purchased behind the hall in the mid sixties, extensive renovations and additions including kitchen, toilets, committee room and the outdoor pavilion the Memorial Hall serves the community in many ways.
A Memorial plaque house in the main hall remembers the men of Llandegla who went to war in 1914 -18 and those who did not come back. Additional names were added following the second world war. 

Pysgah Chapel

The first Congrgationalist Chapel was built at the present location in 1817. In 1840 the house and chapel were demolished and the building we see today was built and given the name Pisgah Addoldy Yr Annibynwyr, The place of worship of the  Independents.
The Chapel thrives today as well as at anytime in its long history and in 2014 a refurbishment package was completed, the quality of which is exemplary. Services at Pisgah are in the Welsh medium.


Bethania Chapel



The Calvanistic Methodist Chapel (Bethania) in Llandegla began its life in its current location in 1827 being opened for services in 1828. Refurbished in 1844, extended in 1861 the chapel was rebuilt in 1903. Sadly, services ceased in the Chapel a few years ago and it is now in private ownership.

The smithy

One of three smithies in the village during the peak of droving, the smithy is a prominent building in the village and the smith here made not only horseshoes but numerous other metal objects as required. Captain Dewhurst of Bodidris purchased the smithy during World War 1 when the then owners, the Roberts family, fell on hard times. Mr Roberts the smith, remained at the smithy working for Captain Dewhurst. The smithy is now in private hands having closed sometime after the second world war. 

Tecla's Well

St Tecla's Well is situated just a few yards out of the village just after the river bridge along a sign posted footpath. 
Renowned for its historic healing powers of the locally know Clwyf Tegla, or epilepsy as we know it today, the site has been visited for over 300 years. Records tell of a young John Abraham (13 years) who suffered from the Clwyf Tegla. Walking around the church three times reciting the Lord's Prayer, lying under the alter to sleep overnight with a cockerel and then to give the parish clerk a goat at the well and offer a second goat to the poor box was the treatment John followed. It is said that if the cockerel caught the disease the patient would be cured and in John's case the treatment must have been successful as he was still alive and working as a smith in Llandegla. 
Reference: Edward Lhuyd (1696) Parochial Queries.

About

Welcome to our event page, where you can discover all the news, updates and information on the upcoming event. Stay tuned for more information on an event not to be missed.